Professional blogging and/ or how to make money through blogs are questions that I am asked often. However, most people tend to simply associate making money via blogs to advertising. From where I look at it though, significant or even reasonable amounts of money from writing a blog are for a privileged few who dedicate a considerable amount of time & energy to writing their blogs and cover strong niche/s.
Not all bloggers (or those who write blogs along) are equal…but money can come in many different ways. Also let’s not forget that for ‘many’ earning money may just be a byproduct, or not even a consideration – showcasing thought leadership, seeding & engaging a community, or plain expression might be the simple motives.
Here are a few that come to mind:
- Advertising – like I said earlier, this is for a privileged few who have the numbers & the authority to get ad revenues. Though in some categories numbers don’t really play a role – example: a top scientist blogging to reach only a select peer group – different matter altogether that s/he may not take ads but a top scientific research company may want to post a job hoping to reach this blog’s elite readership.
The hugely popular Digital Inspiration by Amit Agarwal, professional blogger, a term that, to me signifies someone for whom writing the blog is his/ her primary career engagement. DI is a good example of a blog making good money through advertising, amongst others – writing assignments, content syndication, speaking assignments, workshops, insights & focus groups etc.
- Consulting – For people like Dina Mehta, Gautam Ghosh, me and others who either have consulting practices or do freelance consultancy and also write blogs for knowledge sharing and as a showcase for thought leadership, the blog becomes the primary outreach tool and consulting assignments and workshops would often happen because a prospect read the blog, liked what s/he read, and the writer/ team got a project.
- Research & Insights – Increasingly writers who are able to showcase authority and thought leadership in their domain are being sought out by organizations and companies for research and insights. I have been a part of a few such projects and while money is a small part of why one may do it – learnings drawn from views of other participants being the key reason for many – instances like this are clearly on the rise. The Insight Community is an example of site that facilitates such research.
- Media Contributions – Many blog writers are now being sought by mainstream media as columnists or being invited to contribute regularly. Amit Varma, is a prominent example amongst others; Meenakshi, of The Compulsive Confessor has published her first book.
- Micro Publishing – A little different from being a professional blogger, micro-publishing entrepreneurs like Medianama, VC Circle, WAT Blog are seeding publishing empires – maybe small now but will hopefully be big someday – with multiple revenue streams – advertising, commissioned research, events and more.
Just some ways to make money via a blog. Which others come to your mind? Don’t tell me about ‘Pay Per Post’ – that’s not a way that I endorse :)
Disclaimer: Views of authors are personal and do not represent the views of Blogworks, or any of its clients.