With the recent Vodafone legal notice to a consumer (asking him to remove posts and comments from his social networking profiles) in the backdrop, NDTV Profit invited me to be on a panel for their show All about Ads. Topic of discussion ‘Brands and Social Media – when criticism becomes defamation’.
Other than yours truly, the panel included
- Shruti Verma Singh (host)
- Sanjay Trehan, Head, MSN India
- Ranjivjit Singh, CMO, HP PSG India
- Harish Vaidyanathan Shankar, Legal Services Professional
Some of the points I covered
- Talking about the need to separate bonafide from malafide, I said – there are 3 kinds of people 1, the bonafide consumer who has a grievance/ feedback to share; 2, the attention seeker/ miscreant; 3, the stalker
- As brand owners, we often haven’t given access to the customer to reach us easily, often frustrating the customer further
- Talking about poor customer service, I said – Busy as they are in ‘land-grab’/ market share strategies, in a fast growing market, brands and marketers aren’t particularly keeping customer service as a top priority, and in that lies the danger
- Loss of ‘goodwill’ from legal pursuits should be considered by brands
- Talking about the general environment in India, I said – we tend to think that we have the license to be irresponsible because everyone else around us, including politicians, opinion leaders, media seem to be getting away with it.
- Build brands that customers want
Here is the full video
Disclaimer: Views of authors are personal and do not represent the views of Blogworks, or any of its clients.